Enterprise Community Investment, Inc.
Job Summary As Enterprise has continued to grow in both size and complexity, so have our needs for robust in-house tax and compliance expertise. Along those lines, Enterprise is happy to announce our search for a Director, Tax and Compliance. For this newly created position, we are looking for an outside-the-box thinker who can help us enhance our many tax and compliance processes.
The Director, Tax and Compliance will be responsible for managing all aspects of Enterprise’s tax and compliance processes to ensure that the organization, and entities for which it serves as a fiduciary, are in compliance with applicable federal and state regulations. This position will be responsible for managing one seasoned staff member who assists with preparation of our corporate tax provisions, tax provision true-ups and forecasts, Federal and State income tax and compliance filings (including multiple Form 990s, Form 1120, and quarterly estimated tax payments, among others) and business registrations, and who works closely with external tax service providers to assist and advise us through these processes. Additionally, the position will be responsible for working with senior leaders across Enterprise to plan for and address tax and compliance issues as they arise, and develop and maintain compliance processes and relationships to accomplish this.
This position requires strong knowledge of federal and state and local income tax and nonprofit compliance rules and regulations. Additionally, the position requires strong management skills, excellent communication, organizational, analytical, and computer skills, and the ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment with minimal supervision.
- Lead processes surrounding the preparation and documentation of all required tax returns and filings under the Enterprise umbrella of companies, including our corporate GAAP tax provision and related financial statement disclosures under ASC 740, filing of Federal and State tax returns for our for-profit entities, preparation of personal property tax returns and preparation of Form 990s for our nonprofit entities, among other things. Certain of these filings are completed using the assistance of an outside tax service providers, due to the complexity and various filing requirements.
- Lead the development and maintenance of documentation of all tax and compliance processes. Maintain financial objectives in accordance with tax law, and the company’s accounting practices, to ensure that tax and accounting policies, effective controls and efficient procedures are implemented and enforced to safeguard the company’s assets.
- Identify and analyze tax planning opportunities, process improvements and potential structural changes.
- Effectively interact with various government authorities in order to resolve tax or compliance related issues as they arise.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive tax and compliance calendar and checklist of Enterprise entities required to file returns to include required due dates for filings. Additionally, oversee coordination and dissemination of documentation request lists related to these processes.
- Serve as a trusted partner and advisor to our Fund Investment Reporting and Management (FIRM) team related to their preparation of over 100 Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) partnership tax returns. Work with the FIRM team to address deal structuring and partnership-related tax related issues as they arise.
- Serve as a trusted partner and advisor to our development and property management business lines, including, but not limited to advising on tax matters relating to property acquisitions, dispositions, limited partnership buy-outs, deal structuring and other transactions. Additionally, review tax basis depreciation calculations.
- Remain well-informed about proposed and enacted tax and compliance rules and regulation and provide briefs of potential impacts on Enterprise to the Senior Director and Chief Financial Officer.
- Work extensively with, and act as liaison to, Enterprise’s auditors and tax consultants regarding tax and compliance-related issues. Manage the relationship with tax advisors, including relationships related to corporate tax and compliance returns and partnership tax returns to ensure all filings are accurate and filed on a timely basis.
- Serve as collaborative member of the Enterprise finance team that challenges status quo and strives for overall process improvements. Work with other members of the team and organization to make recommendations to improve business and communication processes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Manage performance of direct report(s) by providing ongoing and sufficient feedback and maintain annual goal setting and performance review practices.
Create a climate in which employees want to do their best: motivate team or project members: assess each person’s strengths and use it to get the best out of him/her: pushes tasks and decisions down: empowers others: invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility: makes each individual feel his/her work is important.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Master’s degree in Taxation, or Masters of Business Administration, strongly preferred.
- CPA certification required.
- 10-12 years of progressive experience in corporate and partnership tax; public accounting experience is strongly preferred.
- At least 3 years of management experience required.
- Strong knowledge and extensive experience with tax laws surrounding both for-profit and not-for-profit organizations, including understanding, researching, analyzing and documenting tax and compliance issues related to real-estate partnerships, corporations, LLCs, with LIHTC experience preferred.
- Strong financial reporting background required.
- Strong understanding of and experience preparing Form 1120s and 990s.
- Knowledgeable about multi-company and multi-state income tax calculations, state apportionment rules and an understanding of estimated tax rules desired.
- Knowledge of FIN48 requirements.
- Strong financial, analytical, organizational, and quantitative skills, and ability to coordinate complex activities, prioritize conflicting demands and meet deadlines.
- Incumbent is expected to demonstrate strong ethics and professionalism in interpersonal relations and work as an effective team member.
- Must be highly motivated, able to work independently and posses strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with accounting systems preferred, experience with Workday a plus.
- Self–starter, able to independently research tax issues as needed and prepare white paper to present problem and suggested solution/treatment.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Ability to work under stress/pressure.